PROFILE OF DR (MRS.) KATE N.N. NDUKAUBA, DIRECTOR, SIWES
A former Acting Head, Department of Foreign Language & Translation Studies for 5 years, Dr Kate Ndukauba has a doctorate degree from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, a Masters degree from the University of Calabar, Calabar and a first degree from University of Nigeria , Nsukka.
Her areas of specialization are French language and Translation Studies.
Dr. Kate Ndukauba joined the services of Abia State University in 1996. She is the current Director, SIWES Unit and presently, a member of the Governing Council of the University.
She has several papers to her credit and is well travelled. Dr. Ndukauba is married with children and grandchildren.
ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU
IT’S MISSION AND VISION
The Students Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) is a Skills Training Programme designed to expose and prepare students of universities for the industrial work situation they are likely to meet after graduation.
The Industrial Training Fund (ITF) initiated and designed the scheme to bridge the gap between theory and what was practically obtainable in the industries.
The objectives of the scheme:
- Provide an avenue for students of Abia State University to acquire industrial skills and experience in their course of study.
- Provide students of Abia State University with an opportunity to apply their knowledge in real work situation thereby bridging the gap between theory and practice.
- Enlist and strengthen employers’ involvement in the entire educational process and prepare students of Abia State University for employment in industry and commerce.
STAFF OF SIWES UNIT
The SIWES Unit has always been headed by a Director:
Former Directors include:
Prof. E.I. Akubugwo Department of Biochemistry
Barr. Bob Ogu Urban and Regional Planning
Dr. J.U. Ogbonna Department of Geography/Planning
Prof. Mrs. F. Nduka Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology
Prof. I.E. Elekwa Department of Biochemistry
Prof. (Mrs.) U.G. Emetarom Department of Educational Administration
Dr. (Mrs.) J.N. Ogwo Department of Physics
Dr. (Mrs.) K.N.N. Ndukauba Department of Foreign Language and Translation Studies (FLATS)
ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF OF THE SIWES UNIT
Mrs. Jacinta Okezie Chief Typist
Mrs. Ebere Emeghara Chief Typist
Mrs. Emejor Mary Chief Clerical officer
Mrs. Nnenna Chukwu Typist
Mrs. Nnenne Ahaiwe Chief Typist
Elder Ojo Uduma Driver
Onyedika Bertha Chief Clerical Officer
Adiole Anthonia Senior Clerical Officer
Oluchi Uwaezuoke Computer Operator I
Anthony Amaraegbu Driver
MAJOR SIWES ACTIVITIES IN ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY
– Preparation of Master list and submission of same to the supervisory bodies NUC and ITF.
– Preparation of placement list and submission of same to the supervisory bodies NUC and ITF.
– Conducting SIWES orientation for students of the Institution
– Supervision of students for Industrial Attachment
– Vetting of students’ Log books
DEPARTMENTS INVOLVED IN INDUSTRIAL TRAINING IN ABSU
- Zoology (Animal and Environmental Biology)
– Botany (Plant and Science Biotechnology)
- Industrial Physics
- Industrial chemistry
- Industrial Mathematics (Mathematics)
- Computer Science
- Estate Management
- Environmental Engineering (Environmental Resource Management)
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Geography and Planning
- Fine and Applied Arts
- Education/Business Studies
- Education /Library Studies
- Information Science
- Agriculture Economics/Extension
- Food Science and Technology
- Soil Science
- Crop and Soil Science (Crop/Plant Production)