Name: Prof. (Mrs.) Nkechi Chuks Nwachukwu
Area of Specialization: Medical Microbiology
Date of Birth: 7th July, 1962
Academic Qualification: B.Sc (Hons) M.Sc (Medical Mycology)
Ph.D (Medical Microbiology)
Awards: (i) Award of outstanding contributions as
Head of Department towards the attainment of full accreditation for the department (Microbiology) in 2007/2008 NUC Accreditation Visitation.
(ii) Ohafia Woman of the Year 2012
(iii) Outstanding Contributions to educating the children and honoured with “Adaukwu Akanu” 2014.
(iv) Outstanding contribution to development of education among the youths in Amiyi Obinohia and honoured with “Nwu”ediukwu” 2015
- Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Member, Nigerian Society of microbiology
- Members, Mycological Society of Nigeria
- Member, American Society of Microbiology
- Current Research Interest:
- Antibacterial activity of Edible Mushrooms
- Epidemiological studies on Hepatitis B, C and HIV (Concomitant studies).
- Nduka, F. O.; Nwaugo, V. O. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (1993) Bacteria Associated with Paragonimus infection in Okigwe Area of Imo State, Nigeria. Jour. Of Biotech; 11: 69-75.
- Nwaugo, V. O., Nduka, F. O. & Nwachukwu, N. C (1997) Fungal Concomitant infection Paragonimiasis in Okigwe Area. J. life Sc. Innovation 6:18-24.
- Okafor, J. I. & Nwachukwu, N. C. (2000) Measurement of lipase Activity of Pityrosporum Ovale isolated form infected human scalp. J. Vis. Sci: 2(1): 44-48.
- Nwachukwu, N. C & V. O. Nwaugo (2002) Prevalence of Pityriasis Versicolor among secondary school students in Okigwe, Imo State. J. Hith Vis. Set, 4(3): 166-171.
- Nwaugo, V. O., Nduka, F. O. & Nwachukwu, N. C. (2005) Concomitant typhoid infection in Urinary Schistosomiasis in South Eastern Nigeria. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 11(3): 353-356.
- Kanu, I., Anyanwu, E. C, Nwachukwu, N. C Ehir’i, J. E. & Merrick, J. (2005) Clinical Microbiology Aspects of Epileptic Seizures in the Tropical Countries with specific focus on Nigeria. The Scientific World Journal. 5:401-409.
- Nduka, F. O. Nwaugo, V. O. & Nwachukwu, N. C. (2004) Effect of Public incidence of Urinary health elightment on the Schistosomiasis in an endemic rural community in South Eastern Nigeria. American Trop. Med. Hyg; 71(4): 448.
- Nwachukwu, N. C Kanu I., Okereke, H. C, Anyanwu, E. C. and Merrick, J  Impact of malaria insecticide sprays on the health of children focus on Nigeria. The Scientific World Journal 5 (accepted)
- Okereke, H. C, Kanu, I., Nwachukwu, N. C, Anyanwu, E. C, Ehiri, J. and Merrick, J. (2005) Maternal and child health prospects in Nigeria. The Inter. Pediatr. Neonatal 5(2): 1-3.
- Anyanwu, E. C, Kanu, I., Nwachukwu, N. C. and Saleh, M. A. (2005). Chronic Environmental Exposure to Alternaria tenuis may manifest symptoms of Neurophsychological illnesses: A study of 12 cases. J. Sci. Enriron. ‘Mgt, 9(3): 45-51.
- Ugbogu, C, Nwachukwu, N. C. and Ogbuagu, U. N. (2006). Isolation Salmonella and Shigella Species from House Flies (Musca domestica I) in Uturu, Nigeria. Africa Journal of BiotechnologY] 5(11): 1090-1091.
- Nwaugo, V. O., Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2006) Bacteriological Quality of Cercariae (Schistosoma haematobium) infested Abandomed Quarry Pits Water. J. Sci Engr. Tech. 13(2): 6697-6706.
- Nwaugo, V. O., Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2006) Effect of gas flaring on Soil Microbial Spectrum in Parts of Niger Delta area of Southern Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology 5(19): 1824-1826.
- Nwaugo, V. O. Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. and D. I. Agwuaranze (2006) Microbial Species associated with air conditioner filters in South Eastern Nigeria. Nigeria Journal of Microbiology. 20(3): 1406-1412.
- Nwaugo, V. , R. A Onyeagba and Nwachukwu, N. C,  Moringa Oleifera: A potential biocoagulant in the treatment of petroleum produced water. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology. 20(3): 1413-1418.
- Nduka, F. O., Nwaugo, V. O. and Nwachukwu, N. C.  Human Intestinal parasite infection in Ishiagu, a lead mining area of Abia State. Animal Research International, 3: 505-507
- Nwachukwu, N. C, Utsalo, S. J., Kanu, I., and Anyanwu, E. C.  Genital Colonization of Group B Streptococcus at term pregnancy in Calabar, Nigeria. The Internet Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology. 7(2): 1-4
- Okere, S. C, Eze, C. , lleogbunam, R. D. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2007]Seasonal Variation of levels of toxic/Heavy metals of Bilante Rock Mining pot water Ishiagu, Ebonyi State. Int. J. Biotechnol and Allied Sci 2(3]: 297-299.
- Ibeh, I. N. Ngwoke, A. C. and Nwachukwu, N. C. . Studies on Ogi (Zea Maize paste] Preserved with lime Juice (Citrus aurantifolia]. Journal of the National Academy for the Advancement of Science. 5: 317-321
- Ibeh, I. N., Alozie, J. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2008]. Toxicological Evaluation of Apple Juice concentrates Imported into Nigeria. Journal of National Academy for the Advancement of Science. 5: 313-316.
- Nwachukwu, N. C. and Orji, A.  Seroprevalence of Human Immuno-deficiency Virus among some fresh Nigerian Graduates. Research Journal of Immunology. 1(2): 51-55.
- Nwachukwu, N. C. and Orji, A. (2008) Streptococcus pneumonia carriage rates among infants in Owerri, Nigeria. African journal of Respiratory Medicine, 4(1): 16.
- Orji, A., Nwachukwu, N. C. and Madu, B. 0. (2008) The current Biomedical Trends of Onchocerciasis an age old disease of man. European journal of Scientific Research. 19(4): 65-71.
- Nwachukwu, N. C, Orji, F. A., and Amaike, J. I. (2009) Isolation and Characteriszation of Liseria Monocytogenes from Kunu – a locally produced beverage marketed in Aba, Abia State, Nigeria. Australian journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 3(4): 4432-4436.
- Nwachukwu, N. C, A. Orji, I. Kanu, and H. C. Okereke (2009) Epidemiology of Pulmonary tuberculosis in some parts of Abia State, Federal Republic of Nigeria. Asian journal of Epidemiology. 2(1): 13-19.
- Nwachukwu, N. C Orji, & E. O. Obasi (2009) Human respiratory tract microbial pathogens associated with asphalt production. African Journal of Respiratory Medicine, 5 (1): 13-15
- Nwachukwu, N. C. Orji, F. A., & Okike, U. M. (2009) Antibiotic susceptibility Pattern of bacterial pathogens isolated from surgical wounds in Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH) Aba, Nigeria. Research Journal of medicine & Medical Sciences, 4 (2); 575-579
- Nwachukwu, N. C. Orji, F. A., Iheukwumere, I., and Igwo, K. C (2010) Isolation of Characterization of Listeria Monocytogenes from local Vegetables marketed in Okigwe, Imo State, Nigeria. Australian journal of Basic & Applied Sciences. 4(7): 1577-1582.
- Nwachukwu, N. C. Orji, F. A., Iheukwumere, I. and Ekeleme, U. G. (2010) Antibiotic resistant isolates of Listeria Monocytogenes from anthropogenic lakes in Lokpa-Ukwu, Abia State, Nigeria. Australian journal of Basic &. Applied Sciences. 4(7): 1571-1576.
- Nwachukwu, N. C, Orji, F.A. & Madu, C.N (2010) Antibiotic-Resistant Salmonella Species in pork on display for sale in Umuahia, Abia State, Nigeria. Research journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 6 (6): 750-753
- Odu, N.N. Nwachukwu, N. C. and Udo, (2010) Characterization of Keratinophilic fungi from Lokpa limestone Dump. Int J. Biotechnol & Allied Science 5 (2): 718-721.
- Orji, F.A., Nwachukwu, N. C, Iheukwumere I and Emeana, U. (2011) Group B Streptococcus (GBS) Infections Among infants in Port Harcourt City, Nigeria. Australian journal of Basic & Applied 5(7): 1114-1118.
- Akpan, M.M, Odeomena, C.S, Nwachukwu, N. C and Danladi, B. (2012) Antimicrobial Assessment of Ethanolic Extract of Costus afer leaves. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research, 2 (3); 335- 341.
- Orji, F.A., Ibiene, A.A., Uzomba, P.C, Itoandon, E.E. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2012) Cow Dung and Water hyacinth Nutrient Powder: Good Sources of limiting Nutrients for bioremediation of Hydrocarbon polluted Mangrove Swamps in the Niger Delta, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Agriculture, Food & Environment, 8 (2): 52-58
- Etusim; P.E. Okafor E., Nwachukwu, N. C., Melariri, P.E. & Ogbonnaya, C.I. (2013) A study on antibacterial Activities of Aloe leaves, Stems and Roots on some selected organisms. Journal of Biological Sciences and Bioconservation, 5 (1): 52-59.
- Iheukwumere, I, Nwachukwu, N.C. and Kanu, M. A (2013) Manifestations, Mismanagement and Diagnostic Challenges of Malaria and Typhoid Fever. Chemoth. Cont. Elimination, 2:109.
- Ekeleme, G, Nwachukwu, N.C., Ogodo, A.C. Nnadi, C.J. Onuabuchi, I.A. and Osuocha, K.U. (2013) Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius and Associated changes in Liver enzymes in Wistar Rats. Aust. J. Basic and Applied Sci, 7 (12): 156-162.
- Ndimele, E.C., Ekeleme, U.G., Ogodo, AC, and Nwachukwu, N.C. (2015) Evaluation of the level of air Microbial Contamination in some Teaching Hospitals Waste Dump Site in South Eastern Nigeria. Nigerian Hospital Practice, 15(4):31-38.
- Nwokorie, C.C. and Nwachukwu, N.C (2015) Antibiotic Susceptibility of staphylococcus aureus in suppurative lesions in Imo State Teaching Hospital Orlu, Nigeria. European Journal of Biotechnology and Bioscience, 3(6): 29-32.
- Shilonya, H.U. Ibeji, I.N, Nwachukwu, N.C and Ijioma, S. N. (2015) Hematological and biochemical parameters in chinchilla rabbits treated with Caulis bambusae (Bamboo) stem extract. Central European Journal of Experimental Biology 4 (1): 8-10.
- Nwokorie, C.C., Nwachukwu, N.C., Ezeanokete, C.C. and Ike, C.C (2015). The Photochemical and antimicrobial analysis of Pterocarpus santalinoides plants. Asian Journal of Science and Technology, 6(5): 1411-1418.
- Ezejindu, C. N., Onyeagba, R.A. Nwaugo, V O. Okereke, H.C and Nwachukwu , N.C. (2016) Phytochemical analysis of Azadirichta Indica (Leaf), Moringa Oleifera (leaf) and Mucuna Pruriens (seed) extract. Unique Research Journal of medicine and Medical sciences 4 (5); 034-037.
Ezejindu, C. N., Nwachukwu , N.C., E.C. Onyeagba, R.A. Nwaugo, V O. Okereke, H.C and Otutu, E.A. (2016) Survey of Malaria parasites in blood donors from selected hospitals in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Unique Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 4(6): 064-066.