On behalf of the visitor to Abia State University and Governor of Abia State, Okezie Victor Ikpeazu, Ph.D, I gladly welcome all distinguished ladies and gentlemen from all parts of the universe, to this very significant Convocation Ceremony. It is significant because it marks the maiden outing of our dear Governor and Visitor to the University in this respect. It is also very meaningfully significant as it is my first convocation ceremony since I assumed office as the 7th substantive Vice-Chancellor of this great responsibility through the scholastic benevolence of our academically tutored and educationally-friendly Governor, Okezie Victor Ikpeazu, Ph.D, acting on the recommendation of the then Governing Council whose leadership was commenced by a distinguished ‘‘Office and Gentleman’’, His Excellency, Senator General Ike Nwachukwu (Rtd) and concluded very responsibly and meritoriously by an accomplished ranking member of the council, Chief Sir Chuku Wachuku, Uri Chi Ndere. I am enternally gratefull to all who in no small measure contributed to my elevation to this height of responsibility. Almighty God will reward you all positively too. I speak today with the strong support and blessings of the following hierarchy of Governing authorities of the institution:
- Provost, Deans, Heads of Department and the University Senate.
- The Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Governing Council, His Excellency, Distinguished Senator Adolphus Wabara, former Senate President, of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- The Honourable Chancellor, His Excellency Sir Francis Oji, KSJ, JP, OFR, who at different times was the former Deputy Governor of greater Imo State and former Minister of Police Affairs, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- All distinguished members of the Governing Council. I sincerely thank the Governor for assembling for us a star-studded, membership of Governing Council.
- Staff and Students of our great institution
Permit me to place on record that I inherited a disciplined administration led by my predecessor, Professor Chibuzo Ogbuagu, an administration characterized by staff welfares and prudence in fiscal conduct. My thoughts on lifting the institution to higher levels are encapsulated in my address to the University Community, on assumption of office titled, ‘’My Mandate,… our story must change’’, with emphasis on academic indexes that will positively enhance the national and global ranking of our University. Deriving from that roadmap, we have, within this short period, made modest achievements in the following areas:
- Studies on the Restoration of Abandoned ex-stone Quarry lands with Tree species in South-East, Nigeria by Nwaigbo, Leonard C.
- Assessment of Ivo River lowland soil quality and its rice heavy mental content by Nwaugo, Victor O.
- Anti-ulcerogenic activity, probiotic potentials and toxicological evaluation of fermented unripe Musa paradisiacal (Plantain) and fermented Pentaclethra macrophylla (oil bean) seeds by Elekwa Ify.
- Heavy metal concentration in edible macro-invertebrates and fish in Oguta Lake, Imo State, Nigeria by Okafor Anthony I.
- Rural Households consumption attitudes to own produced and imported foods among Igbos in South Eastern Nigeria by Emerole C.O
- Developing an organic mineral nutritional package of Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus) to feed the pulp and paper industry in Nigeria by Ogbonnaya, C.I
- Research: A University is rated by the volume and quality of its Research activities. Therefore, working with the committee on Research and Publication headed by Professor V.O. Nwaugo, and strong advocacy ta TETFUND, the under listed research topics have been approved for sponsorship by the TETFUND:
- Full Accreditation from National Universities Commission (NUC) for Medical Laboratory Science and Computer Science Programs.
- Inventory and quality evaluation of drinking water sources in Isuikwuato (Abia State) and okigwe (Imo State) LGAs, Nigeria by Umeham, S.N.
- Assessment of potential values of locally sourced sesamum indicum seeds by Okoronkwo, Nnenna E.
- Influenced of organic and inorganic soil amendments on soil chemical properties and on growth and yield of Cocoyam (Colocasia esculenta) by Iwuagwu, Mary O.
- Fixed bed column sorption studies for the removal of reactive dyes from waste water using saw dust by Igwe, Jude C.
- The use of Mucuna prariens, Costus afer, Chromolaena odorata, Fiscs sur, Gongronema latifolium, Vernomia amygdalina, Azardirachia indica and other species of plants found in Okigwe and the environs in the management of diabetes by Ndukuba, Patrick I.
- Biological treatment of various sources of water for domestic use in heavy mental and rock mining area, Ishiagu Community using Moringa oleifera and Jatropha curcus by Onyeagba, Reginald A.
- Public heath significance and limnology of abandoned Quarry pits in Lokpanta, Abia state by Etusim, Pascal E.
Twelve others are being processed at TETFUND for eventual approval. Eight (8) other research topics are equally being processed for the bigger National Based Research Funding Category. I am deliberately making these research activities public to attract the attention of the industry in particular and private sector in general that stand to benefit from the research results to indicate interest for ReadMore