The Science Education Department (SED) was recently created in March, 2015 in the Faculty of Education of Abia State University to coordinate the academic programmes of the following five science education sub-disciplines:
All the above science education sub-disciplines were recently granted full accreditation status by the National Universities Commission (NUC) in 2015. The Department at the moment, runs only undergraduate programmes in the five sub-disciplines spelt out above.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SCIENCE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The objectives of the Science Education Department include the following.
- To provide educational/training opportunities to individuals interested to pursue science teaching professionally;
- To introduce students to the science education profession;
- To produce highly qualified and competent science teachers for Nigeria secondary and tertiary institutions;
- To produce science teachers who could be strong advocates and promoters of sound government science and technology improvement programmes;
- To produce science teachers who intelligently understand the increasing complexity of science, energy, resources and technology;
- To offer training and re-training opportunities to serving teachers who need to up-date their knowledge and skills in the science teaching profession.
- To produce science teachers who are strong advocates for the application of scientific methods for solution of national, state and local problems;
- To produce research-oriented science teachers;
- To produce science teachers who can promote the philosophy and ideas of the teaching profession through successful implementation of the National Policy on Education.
In addition to the broad aims and objectives of the Science Education Department, the department provides the following career opportunities.
- Teaching science at various school levels
- Work in scientific civil service
- Undertake advanced studies in science/science education
- Work in industries
- Work in research institutes and laboratories
Science Education has adequately equipped laboratories at the service ends. The academic programmes of the department are facilitated by qualified and experienced lecturers.
The following is the list and profile of the existing academic staff.