Professor Uche Ikonne, a beneficiary of the Scholarship Scheme of then Imo State Government , studied Optometry at Manila Central University Philippines obtaining the degree of O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) and MHA (Masters in Hospital Administration). He did a 4-year post-doctoral clinical specialist training and obtained the Fellow of Nigerian College of Optometrists (FNCO) with specialty in Primary Care Optometry. He was promoted Professor of Clinical Optometry in 2006.
University Service Experience
* Head of Department, Department of Optometry, Abia State University 1994-1997; 2002 – 2005
* Director, Institute of Distance Education, Abia State University, 1998-99
* Member, representing Senate, Management Board, Abia State
University Teaching Hospital, Aba 1996 -1998
* Acting Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences, Abia State University, 2007
* Deputy Provost, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Abia State University, 2009/2010 session
* Visiting Associate Professor, Dept. of Optometry, University of Benin 2007/2008 session
* Has assessed Associate Professoral and Professoral candidates for some universities
* External examiner to many universities, including University of Cape Coast, Kumasi Ghana.
* Authored the first Nigerian indigenous book in clinical Optometry.
* Contributed many articles in both local and international journals.
Professional service experience
* Member, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board of Nigeria
1993 – present day
* Chairman Education Committee, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board of Nigeria
* Vice Chairman, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board of Nigeria 2009 – present day
* Chairman Disciplinary Committee, Nigerian Optometric Association
* Registrar, Nigerian (post-graduate) College of Optometrists
Some Recent Professional Courses
* World Council of Optometrists workshop, Milan Italy 2006
* World Refractive Error congress, Durban South Africa 2007
* Observership in clinical low vision and rehabilitation services 2010. lighthouse international, New York, USA.
* Clinical observership at State University, New York USA, 2010
* Secretary, Colloquium Committee, Ugwuabia Festival, Abia State 2000
* Member, Education Committee, Ohaneze, Festival 2005.
* Chairman, Hon. Chinenye Ike’s (member, Rep Isiala Ngwa north/south Federal Constituency) Scholarship/Bursary Committee 2007- present day
* Member, National University Commission Accreditation Team
* Chairman, National University Commission Accreditation Team 2008
* Secretary, Federal Road Safety Commission, unit 13, ABSU (RS5) Command
* Fellow, Nigerian Optometric Association, (FNOA), 1996
* African Optometric Educator of the year, 2003
* Distinguished Merit award, NOA, 2006
* Knight of St Christopher (KSC) 2000
* Married to Barr. (Mrs) Uzoamaka Grace. Uche-Ikonne
Law Officer/Director, Ministry of Justice, Abia State, Umuahia.
* Two Children: Chikezie 19 (Medical Student ABSU)
Okezie 16 (Statistics ABSU)