Tpl. Obialo. Abaraikwu. Kalu.(PhD)
PRIMARY EDUCATION: Attended Primary School, Isiegbu Ozuitem First School Leaving Certificate: (1977)
SECONDARY EDUCATION: Attended Item High School, Item (1983)
General Certificate of Education (1986 and 1990)
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning. Abia State University, Uturu, Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning (BURP), 1996.
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning, College of Postgraduate Studies. Abia state University, Uturu. Master of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP), 2004.
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning, School of Postgraduate Studies, Abia State University, Uturu. Doctor of Philosophy in Urban and Regional Planning (PhD, 2015)
PRESENT EMPLOYMENT: Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Environmental Studies, Abia State University, Uturu.
RANK: Senior Lecturer (S/L).
PROGRAMMES SUPERVISION AND COURSE THOUGHT (IN THE PRESENT)
MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
(a) Transportation Planning (MURP)
BACHELOR OF URBAN AND REGIONAL PLANNING DEGREE (BURP)
- Tourism Development Planning 500 Level
- Project Planning and Evaluation 400 Level
- Introduction to GIS/LIS 300 Level
- Transportation Planning 1 and 2 300 Level
- Planning Studio 3 200 Level
- Urban Development Planning 100 Level
- Basic Elements of Urban and Regional Planning 100 Level
MEMBERSHIP OF UNIVERSITY, FACULTY AND DEPARTMENT COMMITTEE IN ABSU
- Water Reticulation Committee 2006-2007.
- IDEA Adhoc Committee 2004-2006.
- Faculty Examination committee(Member) 2000-2003.
- Department Examination Committee (Chairman) 2003-2009.
- Sandwich Adhoc Committee (Member) 2004-2006; 2008-Date
- Hostel Warden 2004-2005.
- Faculty Board Result Reconciliation Committee (Member) 2005-2006, 2014-
SOME PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (PLANNING DESIGN/TECHNICAL REPORTS) COMPLETED.
- ABSU Facility Map, 2006.
- ABSU water Reticulation Map, 2006.
- Urban Infrastructure Survey Report, Onitsha, Anambra State, 2007.
SOME RESEARCH WORKS/PUBLICATIONS.
- a. Kalu, A.O.(2006). Urbanization and Housing in Nigeria; In Anya Igwe Kalu and G. Chima (ed), Housing Development in Nigeria: concepts, Issues and strategies. Abakaliki: Pauliton press Nigeria, ISBN: 978-38484-4-0
- Iroegbu, A. N; Wogu, C.L.; Kalu,A.O. (2010). Urbanization and Housing Problems; In G.N.Chima and A.I.Kalu (ed), contemporary Issues in Environmental Sciences. Uturu; ABSU .Press, 201N. ISBN: 978-2579-41-X
- Egbu A. U and Kalu, A.O. (2010). Land use planning and Provision of Housing in Nigeria; In G.N. Chima and A.I. Kalu (ed), contemporary Issues in environmental sciences. Uturu: ABSU Press. 2010. ISBN: 978-2579-41-X
- Iroegbu, A.N; Wogu, C.L; Kalu, A.O; and Nwannekezie, O.F. (2010). The challenges of Global Economic Crisis to Housing Development in Nigeria: Nigeria Journal of Research and Production 16 (2)4.ISBN:1596-66-15
- Iroegbu, A.N; Egbu, A.U; Kalu, A .O; Umunnakwe, H.C; and Nwobi, C.(2010). Factors Affecting Housing Demand and Supply in Owerri, Imo State. Nigeria; Proceedings of the sixth International Conference on Sustainable Development UNN: International Research and Development Institute (IRDI). 6(7)8
- Iroegbu, A.N; Egbu, A.U; Kalu, A .O; Umunnakwe, H.C; and Nwobi, C.(2010). Problems and Prospects of Public Sector Participation in Housing Delivery in Owerri, Imo State Nigeria. Proceedings of the sixth International Conference on Sustainable Development UNN: International Research and Development Institute (IRDI). 6(7)8.
g Iroegbu, A. N; Obika, S; Kalu,A. O; and Wogu, C.L.(2010) The Role of Codes and Standards in Quality Assurance Programme: Issues Insights: Multidisciplinary Journal of Research Development; Portharcourt: national research development(NARD). RUST. 15(4)9 ISBN:1596-974x.
- Egbu, A.U; Kalu, A.O and Etusim, P. (2008). Urban Traffic and Environmental Health Evaluation in Nigeria. A Case Study of Aba Metropolis; Journal of the Association of the Architectural Educators in Nigeria. 7(2), 2008. ISBN: 1595-9805.
- Egbu, A.U; Iroegbu, A.U; Kalu, A.O; Umunnakwe, H. C; and Nwobi, C. (2011). Inner-City Renewal as an Indispensable Tool for Urban Re-development and City Upgrading in Abia State: Approached in International Journal of Research Development, Sierra Leone- Free Town. ISBN: 2141-1409. 5(1)12.
- Kalu, E.E; Umunnakwe, H.C; Kalu, A.O; Ogba, S.I; Nwafor, K. and Iroegbu, A, N. (2011). Water Pollution and its Environmental Implementation in Nigeria: The case study of Portharcourt: Ghana: Pan- African Book company. 4(19)5.
- Kalu, E.E; Kalu, A.O; Umunnakwe, H.C; Ogba, S.I; Ibeabuchi, U. and
Iroegbu, A.N. (2011). Spatial Analysis of Waste Administration in Abia State: A case study of Umuahia Urban; International Journal of Social Science. Ghana: Pan-African Book Company. 3(6)5.
- Egbu, A.U; Iroegbu, A.N; Kalu, A.O; Umunnakwe, H.C and Nwobi, C.(2011). Resolving Urban Development Conflicts in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria; Multi-Disciplinary Journal of A Academic Excellence, Nsukka: National Association for the Advancement of Knowledge(NAFAK),UNN. 3(3)4.ISBN:2141-3215.
- Egbu, A.U; Pat-Mbano; Edith, C. and Kalu, A.O. (2012). Public Goods Provision: Information Response to Government Failure in the Cities of Nigeria. Theoretical and Empirical Research in Urban Management 7(2)5, ISBN: 2065-3913, E-ISSN: 2065-3921, P.67-78, www.u.ase.row//.
- Agwu E.I.C. and Kalu, A.O. (2012). Tragedy of Open Spaces in our Cities: Case study of Umuahia and Aba Cities. Journal of Nigerian Institute of Town Planners. 21 (1)3.
- Okonkwo, M.M., Egbu,A.U., Kalu, A.O and Umunnakwe, H.C. (2012). Analysis of Budgetary Allocations to Housing Development in Nigeria (From 1991-2006).Journal of the Association of the Architectural Educators in Nigeria. (AARCHES-J). 11,ISSN 1595-9805.
- Etusim, P.E., Amuzie, D.C.,Umeham, S.N., Ogwo, P and Obialo,A,k.(2013). Twelve Day on Characterization of Waste Generation at an Urban Market in Okigwe, Imo State, Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Biology. 3(1)5.
- Uwadiegwu Ibe., Egbu, A.U and Kalu, A.O.(2014). A study of Urban Heat Island Areas in Lagos Metropolis Using Satellite Imagery from 1984-2011
- Kalu, A.O, Uwadiegwu, I and Egbu, A.U. (2014). A Risk Assessment and Vulnerability Mapping of soil Estimation in Abia State: Using Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE) Approach. www.jest.com/www.absujournal.com.
- Kalu, A.O., Egbu, A.U, and Uche Ukachi, C. (2015). Soil Erosion and Degradation-Types, Causes, Effects and Preventive Measures in Isiukwuato LGA, Abia State; In Alozie, M.C and (ed), Contemporary Issues in Environmental Development. Okigwe: Whytem.
- Kalu, A.O., Egbu, A.U, and Kalu, E.E. (2015). Challenges of Urban Planning in Abia State, Nigeria.In Contemporary Issues in Environmental Development. Okigwe: Whytem.
- Kalu, A. O. (1996). Potential Natural Resources for tourism Development in Abia State. A case study of Isuikwuato Local Government Area. Unpublished BURP Project, Abia State University, Uturu.
- Kalu, A. O. (2004). Sustainable Urban Infrastructure: Provision, Maintenance and Cost Recovery in Abia State. A case study of Aba Urban. Unpublished MURP Dissertation, Abia State Uturu.
- Kalu, A.O. (2015). Developing A New Model for Low Income Housing Allocation in South-East, Nigeria. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Abia State University, Uturu.
Egbu, A, U and Kalu, A.O. (2006). Transportation Planning: Approaches and Strategies in Urban and Regional Environment. Okigwe: Llins Consult, 2006.ISBN:978-059-927-4.
4.6 BOOKS UNDER REVIEW FOR PUBLICATION.
(a) Infrastructure Provision in African Cities: Dead or Alive, Nigeria Experience.
(b) Sustainable Urban Infrastructure: Provision, Maintenance and Cost Recovery in Nigeria.
CONFERENCE, SEMINARS, LECTURES AND WORKSHOP ATTENDED.
(a) Sustainable Urban Infrastructure: Provision, Maintenance and cost recovery in Abia State, A case study of Aba Urban, Seminar Paper, Abia State University, uturu.
(b) Entry qualification for Urban and Regional Planning Programme into Nigeria University and Polytechnics. Its relevance and job prospects, carrier talk, delivered at Success Academy for Youths (SAY), state youth conference deeper life bible church, Aba, Abia State 2002.
(c) Urban and Regional planning: Institutional: Entry requirements, its job prospects after graduation ,carrier talk delivered at Marist comprehensive Secondary School, Uturu, Abia State, 2005.
(d) Mandatory continuing professional Development Programme (MCPDP), Eastern Comfort Hotel, Umuahia Abia State, 2005.
(e) Nigeria Environmental Society, 15th Annual General meeting and Conference, Aguiyi Ironsi Conference Hall, Umuahia, Abia State,2005.
(f) Mandatory continuing professional Development Programme (MCPDP), Uyo, 2006.
(g) Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programme (MCPDP), Awka, 2007.
(h) Nigerian Institute of town planners, 38th Annual Conference/General meeting, Nlrose Hotel, Asaba , Delta State, 2007.
(i) Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programme (MCPDP), Mirage Hotel, Calabar, Cross River State, 2008.
(j) Stakeholders Workshop on Comprehensive Mapping and Monitoring of the impact of gully Erosion in Southeastern Nigeria Using Satellite Remote Sensing and GIS Technique 20 Diac Hotels, Independent Layout, Enugu State, 2008.
(k) Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programme(MCPDP)Concord Hotel Owerri, Imo State,2009.
(l) Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programme (MCPDP),Ibom Hall, Akwa Ibom State.2012.
- Nigerian Institute of Town Planners,44th Annual Conference/General meeting, Concord Hotels Owerri, Imo State, 5th -9th November, 2013.
PROFESSIONAL BODY MEMBERSHIP:
(a) Member, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (MNITP, 2005).
(b) Member, Nigerian Environmental Society (MNES, 2005).
(c) Member, Town planners Registration Council (RTP, 2012)
(a) Igbo Language – Mother Tongue
(b) English – Very good and fluent
INTEREST AT LEISURE:
(a) Reading, Writing, Singing etc.