Professor Sam Erugo
Dean, Faculty of Law
Tel: 0803 733 1691
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Professor Sampson Ihesiene Erugo, a Distinguished Professor and the 27th Inaugural Lecturer of Abia State University, Uturu, is a 1987 graduate of Abia State University (then Imo State University). He was called to the Nigerian Bar in November 1988. In addition to a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B [Hons.]) degree, he holds a Master of Laws (LL.M) degree from the University of Lagos (1990), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree of the University of Ibadan. Professor Erugo was in private legal practice up to 1995 when he joined the Faculty of Law, Abia State University. In 2004 he attended the International Centre for the Study of International Humanitarian Law, Geneva, Switzerland for an advanced certificate in International Humanitarian Law. He has also attended the Central European University, Budapest, Hungary on three different occasions for three Summer courses and obtained specialized certificates in Mediation/ADR(2006), Public Service/Interest Lawyering(2008), and in Leadership and Management for Integrity-Education(2014). Again, Sam trained in Project Evaluation and Impact Assessment at INTRAC, Oxford, United Kingdom in 2011.
Professor Erugo is also trained in clinical legal education methods as a law teacher/legal clinician. As member of the Nigerian clinical legal education movement, he was part of Nigerian delegation to the African Legal Clinics Roundtable Meeting at Cape Town (2007); on advocacy visit to two Universities in Ghana, in 2012; and served as Nigerian coach at the International Client Counselling Competition, at University of Hong Kong in April 2010. Professor Erugo has presented papers and lessons, and conducted sessions at several clinical legal education teacher training workshops, at Conferences of Nigerian Association of Law Teachers, and more recently presented at the International Legal Ethics Conference VII, July 2016, Stein Center, Fordham Law School, NY, USA(Available at: https://www.fordham.edu/info/25019/ethics_and_legal_education/8042/global_comparisons_regarding_when_and_how_to_teach_ethics_program) on “Teaching Ethics: The Challenge of Methodology and Conflicting Rules” in “Global Comparisons Regarding When and How to Teach Ethics.” He also presented at the 3rd UNITAR-Yale Conference on Environmental Governance and Democracy, at Yale University, 2014(Available online at:
Professor Sam Erugo has served as Professor of Law(since October 2015),Reader of Law(2012), Dean of Law(2015/2016, 2016/2017), Head of Department of Jurisprudence, International and Public Law(2003-2004; 2012-2016); Head of Department of Commercial and Industrial Law(2004-2005), Head of Department of Private and Property Law(2016/2017); and Coordinator of Clinical Legal Education Programme(2004-2016), at the Faculty of Law, Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria. Professor Erugo teaches Company Law, Labour/Industrial Law, Mediation, Public Interest Lawyering and International Humanitarian Law at undergraduate level; and Comparative Criminal Law, Civil Litigation/ADR and Environmental Law and Policy at postgraduate level. He supervises research at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including Ph.D.
Professor Erugo is widely published in clinical legal education, human rights, access to justice and labour/industrial law. His research interests include labour/industrial law, access to justice, justice education, public interest lawyering, global environmental problems-environmental justice, professional ethics and legal education generally.
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- Authored Books:
- Erugo, S.,(2017)The Lawyer or Liar? The Myths and Realities of a Misjudged Profession, 27th Inaugural Lecture, Abia State University, Uturu
- Erugo, S.,(2014)Public Interest Lawyering: Theory and Practice, Lexskill, Lagos
- Erugo, S., (2010)Distribution of intestate property in an Igbo Community of
Nigeria LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany;
Available online at:http://www.amazon.com/Distribution-Intestate-Property-Community-Nigeria/dp/3843354456
- Erugo,S.,(2004)Introduction to Nigerian Labour Law, Mikky Communications, Lagos.
- Erugo and Adekoya (2016), Lawyering with Integrity: Essays In Honour of Professor Ernest Ojukwu,SAN
- Ojukwu, Adekoya, Erugo, et al, (2016) Street Law: Freedom of Information Manual, UNDEF-NULAI Nigeria, Abuja(in print)
- Ojukwu, Erugo, Adekoya, et al(2015) Freedom of Information Handbook for Law Clinics, Open Society Foundations/NULAI Nigeria, Abuja
- Ojukwu, Erugo & Adekoya (2013) Clinical Legal Education: Curriculum Lessons and Materials, MacArthur Foundation/NULAI Nigeria, Abuja.
- Ojukwu, Lagi & Erugo, (2013) Impact Assessment of Clinical Legal Education in Nigeria, MacArthur Foundation/NULAI Nigeria, Abuja
- Ojukwu, Akinseye-George, Chiroma, Erugo, S. et al(2012) Handbook on Prison Pre-Trial Detainee Law Clinic, MacArthur Foundation/OSJI-NULAI Nigeria, Abuja
- Chukwumaeze, U. & Erugo, S.(eds.),(2001) In Search of Legal Scholarship (Essays in Honour of Ernest Ojukwu), Abia State University Law Centre
Journal editorial works:
- African Journal of Clinical Legal Education and Access to Justice, 2012 NULAI Nigeria, Abuja(Joint with Ojukwu, Akinseye-George, et al)
- ABSU Journal of Jurisprudence, International and Public Law(Editor-in-Chief)
- Journal of Commercial and Maritime Law(Editorial Board), Lagos
- Isiba Law Journal, Lokoja
- Chapters in books:
- Erugo, S.,(2016) “The Challenge of Sustainability of Clinical Legal Education in Nigeria” in Erugo and Adekoya (eds.) Lawyering with Integrity: Essays In Honour of Ernest Ojukwu,SAN
- Erugo, S.(2013)“Compensation for Death, Injury and Disease under the Employees’ Compensation Act, 2010”, chapter 6 in Atilola, B.(ed.) Themes on the New Employees’ Compensation Act, Hybrid Consult
- Erugo, S.& Amadi, K. (2013)“Social Security under the Employees’ Compensation Act 2010”,chapter 8 in Atilola, B.(ed.) Themes on the New Employees’ Compensation Act, Hybrid Consult
- Erugo, S.(2012) “Revisiting the Legal framework of Access to Justice for the poor in Nigeria”, chapter 6 in Ojukwu, E. &Nwankwo, K.C(eds.),Law and Social Development-Essays in Honour of Chief Echeme Emole CFR.),Abuja Helen-Roberts.
- Erugo, S., (2012) “Progressive Enforcement of International Human Rights Norms in Nigeria: The Question of Access to Justice”, chapter 6 in Ngwakwe, Ajah& Okoronye(eds.), Human Rights, Democracy and Development Revisited:Legal Essays in Honour of Professor Osita Eze, Aba, KDV E-Publishers
- Erugo, S., et al(2012) “Legal Education and Social Change in Nigeria”, in Oyewo and Ajomo(eds.) Law, Democratisation and Social Change, Proceedings of the 45th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Association of Law Teachers, Lagos
- Erugo, S.,Ngwakwe,E. et al, (2010)“Pedagogical Approaches to Legal Education in the 21st Century”, in Muzan, A.O(ed.),Legal Education in the 21st Century, Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the Nigerian Association of Law Teachers, Anyigba.
- Erugo, S., (2009),“The Nigerian Lawyer as a problem-solver: Advising Mediation”, Chapter Seven in Odoemenam,C. & Ugochukwu, P.C.(eds.) in Issues and Responses in Contemporary Law & Practice in Nigeria, Owerri, Hudson-Jude.
- Erugo, S.,(2003)“The Regulatory framework of child labour in Nigeria”, chapter 4 in Badaiki, A. (Prof.) (ed.), Landmarks in Legal Development- Essays in Honour of Honourable Chief Judge of Edo State, Justice C.A.R. Momoh.
- Erugo, S.,(2001) “The legal conception of the unborn child in Nigeria”, chapter 3, Chukwumaeze & Erugo (eds.), In search of legal Scholarship (Essays in Honour of Ernest Ojukwu), Abia State University Law Centre.
- Erugo, S., (2001) “Abacha v. Fawehinmi: Can the African Charter prevail without being superior to other domestic laws?”, chapter 28 in Chukwumaeze & Erugo (eds.), In Search of Legal Scholarship (Essays in Honour of Ernest Ojukwu), Abia State University Law Centre.
- Articles in Scholarly Journals:
- Erugo, S.,(2016) “Legal Assistance by Clinical Law Students: A Nigerian Experience in Increasing Access to Justice for the Unrepresented”, Asian Journal of Legal Education July 2016 3: 160-173, doi:10.1177/2322005816640335. Available at: http://ale.sagepub.com/content/3/2/160
- Erugo, S.,(2014)“Does Federal High Court have Jurisdiction in Land Matters?” Ambrose Alli University Law Journal, 2014, Vol.9 No. 1”
- Erugo, S.,(2013) “Public Service Rules as Minimal Rule of Law in Service: Legality of Policy on Directors’ tenure”, ABSU JJIPL Vol. 1,No.1, October 2013,pages 40-53
- Erugo, S.,(2013) “ABSU Prison Pre-Trial Detainee Law Clinic: Students’ Mission at the Prisons”, ABSU JJIPL Vol. 1,No.1, October 2013,pages 112-117
- Erugo, S., (2010) “Appraising the vexed issue of who can bind a company in Nigeria”, Journal of Commercial and Maritime Law, Vol.1, No. 1,pages 128-140
- Erugo,S.,(2007) “Security of Employment in Nigeria: A Case for Statutory Intervention”, Nigerian Journal of Labour Law & Industrial Relations,(NJLIR) Vol. 1,No. 1, pages 57-72
- Erugo, S.,(2004) “The Relationship between the tiers of government and the issue of Local Government Creation, Volume 9, 2004, ABSU Law Journal, pages 62-81
- Erugo, S.,(2003), “Age Discrimination: Extending the frontiers of freedom from discrimination”, Legal Papers, ABSU Law Center, pages 29-33
- Erugo, S.,(2001)“Exploitative Child Labour: A Nigerian Perspective”, IBA-Employment and Industrial Relations Law Journal, Vol. 11 No.2, October 2001(London), pages 33-35
- Erugo, S.,(2000)“The National Human Rights Commission Act: A Review”, 2000, Vol.4 No.3 MJIIPL, Lagos, pages 297-304
- Erugo, S.,(1999)“The Domestic Application of the African Charter: Evolution & Trend”, Vol. 6 No.1, 1999 Abia State University Law Journal, pages 27-41
- Erugo, S.,(1999)“The Pinochet Case: Towards an International Law of Accountability for Crimes Against Humanity” , University of Uyo Law Journal, Vol. 3, pages115-125
- Erugo, S.,(1999)“Is Power of Attorney an Instrument of Alienation?”, 1999 JCP & PL, UST Port Harcourt, pages 11-22
- Erugo, S.,(1997)“The Erosion of Fundamental Rights in the Nigerian Pre-Trial Criminal Process”, 1, 1997 Abia State University Law Journal, pages 19-38
- Erugo, S.,(1996) “Exploding the myth of strike- A Review of the ‘No-Strike clause’ of Decree No. 26 of 1996”, 1996, Abia State University Law Journal, pages 50-63
- Erugo, S.,(1995) “Emphasizing the subtle distinction between dismissal and termination in Contracts of Employment”, 1995 Abia State University Law Journal, pages 76-86
Papers presented at International Conference /Published Online
- Erugo, S., “Teaching Ethics: The Challenge of Methodology and Conflicting Rules” part of group presentation on “Global Comparisons Regarding When and How to Teach Ethics” at the International Legal Ethics Conference VII, July 2016, Stein Center, Fordham Law School, NY, USA: Available at: https://www.fordham.edu/info/25019/ethics_and_legal_education/8042/global_comparisons_regarding_when_and_how_to_teach_ethics_program
- Erugo,S., “Environmental Justice and the Freedom of Information Act in Nigeria: Case Study” paper discussed at the 3rd UNITAR-Yale Conference on Environmental Governance and Democracy, Yale University, New Havens, Connecticut, USA, 5-7 September 2014; Available online at:
Other Select Presentations and Conferences, Seminars and & Public Lectures
- “Professional Ethics and Legal Practice in Nigeria” paper presented as guest lecturer, NBA Ukwa Branch MCLE, 15 December 2016
- “Global Conventions on the Environment, the Un Mandate and International Standards in Gas Flaring”, Paper presented at the Conference on Gas Flaring in the Niger Delta: The Internal and External Dimensions, Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos, 14 December 2016
- “What makes a competent Nigerian lawyer?”, paper presented as guest lecturer, NBA Isiala Ngwa Branch MCLE, 2 December 2016
- “Beyond Abia Charter of Equity: The Quest for Mutual Tolerance, Respect and Political Inclusiveness among Ethnic Nationalities of Abia State” Paper presented as Guest Speaker at Patriots Summit, Concorde Hotel, Owerri, 23 July 2016
- “Preventing forced displacement in connection with an Armed Conflict” Paper presented at the 2016 Workshop on International Humanitarian Law For University Teachers,, Abuja, 21-23 June 2016
- “The Role of Traditional Rulers in Conflict Resolution”, Paper presented as Guest Speaker at a One Day Peace/Security Summit organized by the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Abia State, 13 May 2016
- “The challenge of learning, understanding and managing ethical dilemmas and conflicting rules” at the Nigerian Bar Association, Aba Branch Law Week/Eminent Person’s Lecture, Chief Akwiwu Bar Centre, Aba, 17 March 2016
- “Professor Ernest Ojukwu as SAN-Justice Aloma Muktar’s Legacy of Merit”, Guardian Newspapers
- “Overview of the Legislative Framework For Dishonoured Cheques: Comparative Analysis of International Best Practices”, paper presented at the National Stakeholders’ Workshop on Dishonoured Cheques in Nigeria”, 20-21 November 2013, Abuja
- “Understanding and Sustaining Ngwa Nation and Cultural Values-Right to Culture”, paper presented at NSC Anniversary Conference published in The Ngwa Nation: Promotion of Human Dignity and Protection of Core Values of Society, NSC Anniversary Publication,2012, 13
- Social Security under the Employees’ Compensation Act 2010, Paper presented at a Workshop …. Enugu
- “Civil Service Rules….Paper presented at the Retreat of FCT Council… at Minna, Niger State
- “The Need and Mission/Objectives of Prisons/Pre-trial Detention Law Clinics”, Paper presented at the NULAI Nigeria Prison/Pre-Trial Detention Law Clinics Teachers’ Training and Curriculum Development Workshop, 21-23 August 2011,Port Harcourt.
- “Encouraging High Ethical Standards in all Vocations”, Paper presented Guest Speaker at Rotary Club of Apakun, District 911, Nigeria, at Ikeja on 19 November 2011
- “Application of Mediation in Dispute Resolution” Paper presented at the Nigerian Bar Association, Aba Branch, Continuing Legal Education Programme, 18– 19 July 2008
- “Legal and Other Considerations In Forensic Examination” paper presented as part of Modules 5-6, Forensic Certification Programme; Audit, Investigations and Accounting Faculty, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria: May and October/November 2011,2012,2013,2014 and 2015
- “Introduction to Nigerian Legal System” paper presented as part of Modules 5-6, Forensic Certification Programme; Audit, Investigations and Accounting Faculty, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria: May and October/November 2011,2012,2013,2014 and 2015
- Review and Presentation of book titled “Themes on the new Employees’ Compensation Act”; Edited by Bimbo Atilola, Hybrid Consults Annual Lectures, 17 December 2013, Sheraton Hotel, Lagos
- Erugo,S. & Mgbeoji, I., “Out of Order: Towards Legitimacy in the Regulation of Judges in Nigeria” in
- Erugo, S., “Legislation as Law in Nigeria” in (Ohurogu, C. and Umahi, T.(eds.)Selected Themes on Nigeria Law