Name: Iche, Ukpai Kalu
Date of Birth: 22 October, 1957
Place of Birth: Ohafia, Abia State
Marital Status: Married
Number of Children: 5 (4 females and 1 male)
Name and Address of Spouse: Mrs Oluchi I. Kalu
National Library of Nigeria
Next-of-Kin: Mrs Oluchi I. Kalu
Date of First Appointment: September, 1983
Position on First Appointment: Graduate Assistant
Confirmation of Appointment: 1 October, 1985
Present Position: Professor
Date of Present Appointment/Promotion: July, 2009
Job Address: Department of Estate Management
Abia State University, Uturu, NIGERIA
Telephone Contact: 08033281058, 08120001957
2.0 EDUCATIONAL DATA:
- 2.1 Higher Institutions Attended with Dates:
– University of Nigeria 1978-1982
– University of Reading, England 1985-1986
– Abia State University, Uturu 2000-2005
2.2 Academic and Professional Qualification with Dates:
– B.Sc. Estate Management 1982
– M.Sc. Urban Land Appraisal 1986
– Ph.D. Valuation and Appraisal 2005
– Associate Diploma NIESV 1988
– RSV , ESVARBON 1988
– Fellowship Diploma NIESV 2001
2.3 Other Distinctions and Awards (with Dates)
British Technical Cooperation Agreement 1985-1986
- Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers National Award for Contribution to The Development of the Profession 2007
- Abia State University in recognition and appreciation Of outstanding contribution towards the attainment of Full accreditation in academic programmes in the Faculty of Environmental Studies in 2007/2008 NUC Accreditation exercise. 2008
General Council Assemblies of God Nigeria – National
- Award as Ambassador of the Kingdom 2008
- The Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors & Valuers In Appreciation of Commitment to the Cause of the Institution 2008
- The Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors & Valuers In Appreciation of Contribution to National Mandatory Continuing Professional Lecture Series 2010
3.0 WORK EXPERIENCE:
3.1 Work Experience outside the University System with Dates:
– Industrial Attaché with MLSUP, Owerri 1979
– Industrial Attaché with Messrs Nath Nnaji & Co., Owerri 1989
– Industrial Attaché with Messrs Nath Nnaji & Co., Owerri 1981
– National Youth Corper with MLSUP, Lands Division, Akure 1982
– Consultant to Messrs Egbeks Uma Associates 1984-1992
3.2 Work Experience in other Universities with Dates:
– Visiting Professor – University of Nigeria 2009-Date
3.3 Teaching Experience at Abia State University, Uturu,
– Graduate Assistant, Dept. of Estate Management Sept. 1983-Oct. 1986
– Assistant Lecturer 1986-1987
– Lecturer II 1987-1989
– Lecturer I 1989-1992
– Senior Lecturer 1992-2006
– Reader 2006-2009
3.4 Administrative Experience with Dates
– Pioneer Staff, Department of Estate Management, ABSU 1983
– Acting Head of Department, Estate Management 2003
– Acting Head of Department, Estate Management 2005
– Dean, Faculty of Environmental Studies 2006-2013
– Director, Academic Planning 2013- 2016
3.5 Membership of University Committees with Dates:
– Chairman, Housing Allocation Committee 1992-Date
– Member, University Satellite Village Committee 2003-2004
– Member, Students Village Committee 2006- 2008
– Chairman, Water Reticulation Committee 2007
– Member, James Madison University, USA-ABSU Collaboration Committee 2007
– Member, University Governing Council 2007-2010
– Member, Staff Disciplinary Committee 2006-2009
– Member, University Council A & PC (SATS) 2006-2009
– Member, University Council Tenders Board 2006-2009
– Member, Governing Council F&GPC 2010-2010
– Member, Governing Council A& PC (Academic)
– Member Governing Council 2006-2010
3.6 Professional Affiliation & Committee Membership with Dates:
– Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers
– Chairman, Imo State Branch 2001-2008
– Member of National Council 2001-Date
– Chairman, Education Committee 2006-2010
– Chairman, Board of Examiners 2006-2010
– Member, Estate Surveyors & Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria 1991-1993
– Member, Membership Committee 2001-2008
– Representative of NIESV on the Board of the Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy 2008-Date
3.7Other University and Public Services with Date
– Member, Visitation Panel for ESVARBON Course Accreditation to the following Institutions
– Obafemi Awolowo University 1992
– University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus 1992
– Abia State University, Uturu 1992
– The Polytechnic, Ibadan 1991
– Yaba College of Technology, Lagos 1991
– Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin 1991
– Chair Environmental Panel for Commonwealth Scholarship Selection For MSc & PhD 2014 & 2015
– Member Governing Council Evangel University,Akeze 2012-Date
3.8 External Examiner for B.Sc. & HND in Estate Management
– Imo State University, Owerri B.Sc. 2002-2005
– Rivers State University of Technology B.Tech. 2007- 2009
– University of Nigeria B.Sc 2006-2008
– University of Uyo B.Sc 2005-2007
– Cross River University of Technology B.Tech 2006-Date
– Federal Polytechnic, Nekede HND 2000-2003
– The Polytechnic, Calabar HND 2002-2004
– Federal University of Technology, Minna 2007-2010
– Federal University of Technology, Owerri MSc & PhD 2011- Date
– University of Lagos, Lagos BSc 2010- Date
3.9 Membership of Editorial Boards with Dates:
– Editor-in-Chief, Estate Surveyor & Valuer 2004-2005
– Member, Editorial Board, Estate Surveyor & Valuer 2002-2004
– Member, Editorial Board, RUST, Journal of Environmental Sciences 2003
– Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Environment 2004-2008
– Editor-in-Chief, Journal of the Environment 2008-Date
– Member, Editorial Board, Tropical Environment J 2009-Date
– Member, Editorial Board, Environmental Review J 2009-Date
3.10 Visiting/Adjunct Appointments with Dates:
-University of Nigeria Visiting Professor 2009- Date
– University of Uyo, Uyo – Adjunct Professor 2009- Date
– Imo State University, Owerri – Adjunct Professor 2010- Date
– Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka – Adjunct Professor 2009- Date
4.0 COURSES TAUGHT IN THE UNIVERSITY
- Introduction to Estate Management
- Principles of Valuation
- Land Use and Resources
- Advanced Valuation
- Plant and Machinery Valuation
- Feasibility and Viability Appraisal
- Real Estate Investment Performance Measurement
- GIS in Real Estate
- Advanced Valuation Theory
- International Real Estate Investment
5.0 GRADUATE STUDENT SUPERVISION
5.1 Successfully Supervised
5.1.1 Dr U Ebi
5.1.2 Dr L O Umeh
5.1.3 Dr E Mfam
5.1.4 Dr C C Nwuba
5.1.5 Dr E Ekenta
5.1.6 Dr Alex Udobi
5.1.7 Dr Mrs A Diala
5.1.8 Dr Mrs I C Efekalam
Supervised more than ten MSc candidates and presently supervising ten candidates
6.1 Kalu, I.U. (1986) Real Estate Investment Appraisal: A Study of the Suitability of the Investment Approach to the Nigerian Property Market, unpublished M.Sc. Dissertation, University of Reading, England.
6.2 Kalu, I.U. (2005) An Analysis of the Residential and Business Real Estate Investment Risk and Return in Nigeria, 1990-2000, unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, ABSU.
6.3 Kalu, I.U. (1988) Capitalization Rates in Investment Method of Valuation: A Case Study of ‘Etiti Haven’, Owerri. Critical Analysis submitted to the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers for Corporate Membership.
7.0 BOOKS & MONOGRAPHS
7.1.1 Kalu, I.U. (2011) Linkages in Abia State University in Nwosu,E. , Igbokwe, U. O. and Emetarom, U. (editors) Professor Mkpa Agu Mkpa’s Administration 2006-2010. ABSU Press.
7.1.2 Kalu, I.U. (2006) Property Valuation and Appraisal, 2nd ed., Owerri: Bon Publication.
7.1.3 Kalu, I.U. (2011) Creative Concepts in investing in real estate in Kalu,A.I (ed)
Aspects of Real Estate Investments , ABSU Press
7.1.4 Kalu, I.U. (1988) Housing Supply in Igbozurike, et al (editors) Isuikwuato Okigwe Environmental Report.
7.2 Kalu, I.U. (2009)The use of Decision Tree in Decision Analysis: A Real Estate Development Application Owerri: Bon Publications, pp38
8.1 Diala, A.O, Kalu, I.U., Igwe-Kalu, A. (2016) Effects of exchange Rate Volatility on
Commercial property returns in Nigeria, African Journal of Accounting, Economics,
Finance, & Banking Research 10(10), 30-45
8.2 Ebi, U., Kalu, I.U.,(2016) Views on real estate financing in Nigeria, Journal of
Economics & International Business Management 4(1), 30-40
8.3 Ebi, U., Kalu,I.U.,(2016) Examination of Internal and External Controls on Real
Estate Investment trust options in Nigeria, in Nwokoma, N.I., Ishola, W. A. (eds)
Nigerian Industrial Development, Corporate Governance & Public Policy. Lagos:
University of Lagos Press & Bookshop Ltd
8.4 Ebi, U, Kalu,I U (2014) Appropriateness of Valuation Methods Adopted for
REITs in Nigeria, The Estate Surveyor and Valuer 39 (2) 15- 22
8.5 Ebi, U and Kalu, I U (2015) Examination of Effects of wrong valuation
Method on performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts, Journal of Land
Management and Appraisal Land Management & Appraisal
8.6 Umeh, L O, Egolum , C C , Kalu, I U. (2014) Variance in Property Values
Resulting from market evidence and non-standard anchoring and adjustment
of values, Elixer International Business Management 75(2014), 27508 -27513
8.7 Nwuba, C.C., Kalu, I U, Umeh, J. A. (2015) Determinants of Home Ownership
Affordability in Nigeria, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis
8 (2) 189-206
8.8 Udobi, A.N, Ugonabo,C.U, Kalu,I.U. (2013) An analysis of performance of real
estate investments in Onitsha Metropolis and investment in bank shares in Nigeria
Journal of Civil and Environmental Research, 3(8)
8.9 Ogbonna, A. C. and Kalu, I U. (2012) Due Process and Public Procurement
In Nigeria: The Real Estate Perspective, The Estate surveyor &
Valuer, 37(1). 74-81
8.10 Mfam, C.E. and Kalu, I.U. (2012) Analysis of return and risk in direct
residential and commercial real estate investments in Calabar
South Eastern Nigeria. Journal of Science, Engineering, and Technology 1(1), 128-133
8.11 Kalu, I.U. and Ogunleye, B.M. (2009) Sustainable Urban Land Use in Developing Countries: Lessons from Nigeria. Accepted for publication by International Journal of Strategic Property Management.
8.12 Nwankwo, C.V. and Kalu, I.U. (2008) The Role of Real Property Investment in Mixed Asset Portfolio: A Case Study of NICON Insurance Corporation:The Estate Surveyor and Valuer, 31(2), 7-14.
8.13 Efekalam, C.I. and Kalu, I.U. (2008) A Comparative Appraisal of the Performance of Commercial and Residential Property Investments in Port Harcourt: Journal of Environment.2(2), 28-37
8.14 Kalu, I.U. and Mfam, C.E. (2008) Analysis of Risk in Residential and Commercial Real Estate Investment in Calabar, South Eastern Nigeria: accepted for publication by Journal of Property Management.
8.15 Akujuobi, L.E. and Kalu, I.U. (2008) The Impact of State Government Finances on Real Estate Investment: The Nigerian experience, African Journal of Accounting, Economics ,Finance, Banking Research, 4(4)37-51
8.16 Mfam, C.E. and Kalu, I.U. (2008) Impact of Rent Plateaux on Residential Real Estate Investment in Calabar, South Eastern Nigeria: Journal of Environment, 2(2) 73-86
8.17 Kalu, I.U. (2008) Practical Considerations of Measuring Returns for Real Estate Investment Performance Measurement, The Nigerian Journal of Development Studies, 6(2) 157-168.
8.18 Ibe, K.K. and Kalu, I.U. (2005) Geological, Geophysical Investigation and Valuation of Mineral Bearing Land: The Case Study of Ohafia – Obotme Area, South-Eastern Nigeria, Journal of the Environment, 1(1), 22-30.
8.19 Kalu, I.U. (2000) Valuation: An Economic Contribution to Environmental Degradation Remediation of the Niger Delta Environmental Review, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp 392-402.
8.20 Kalu, I.U. (1999) The Use of Pert and Heuristic Programming in Planning the Location Study of a Proposed Housing Estate, Journal of Project Management Technology, Vol. 2, No.1, 124-147.
8.21 Kalu, I.U. (1990) Real Estate Syndication: A Major Intermediary in Real Estate Capital Formation, The Estate Surveyor & Valuer, Vol. 14, No. 2, 24-28.
8.22 Kalu, I.U. (1990b) Restructuring of Lease Agreements: An Approach to Improvement of Property Investment Performance, The Estate Surveyor & Valuer, Vol. 14, No. 1, 33-40.
8.23 Kalu, I.U. (1988) Performance Measurement and Selection of Property Investments in a Depressed Market: The Estate Surveyor and Valuer’s Role, The Estate Surveyor and Valuer, Vol. 12, No. 2, 41-47.
9.0 CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Kalu, I.U (2011) Promotion and Facilitation of Graduate and Postgraduate Employability in Nigeria: The EPA 3:31 Project Roadmap. Paper presented at the EPA/UNIPEN Postgraduate Employability Event, University of Greenwich, London, 18th February 2011
- Ekere, N.N and Kalu, I.U., Ibhadode,A.,Nwafor, M.,(2010), Report on the Education Partnership in Africa Event, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria, 5th October,2010
- Kalu, I.U, (2010) Real Estate Investment in the Niger Delta Nigeria. An Invited paper presented at the Mandatory Continuing Development Seminar organized by the NIESV and ESVARBON at Aba, Abia State
- Kalu, I.U, (2010) Prospects of Real Estate Investment in the Niger Delta. An invited paper presented at the National Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Seminar held at Enugu, Nigeria
- Kalu,I.U, (2010) Embedding Employability Skills into Postgraduate Programmes of Sub-Saharan African Universities. Paper presented At the Launch Event of Education Partnership in Africa Project-3 Funded by the Department for Business Innovation & Skills, and the The British Council, and held at Abia State University, Uturu
- Kalu,I.U.,Okwuagwu, O.K.(2010) Embedding employability skills into Postgraduate curriculum of Business Management: Abia State University, Experience. Paper presented at the EPA-3 Dissemination Event at the University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
- Kalu,I.U (2010) Embedding employability Skills into Postgraduate degree Programmes: An examination of some fundamental issues. PaperPresented at the EPA-3 Curriculum Event at the University of Greenwich, Medway Campus, Kent, United Kingdom.
- Kalu,I.U.(2011) Promotion and Facilitation of Graduate and postgraduate Employability in Nigeria: The EPA-3 Road-map. Paper presented at The EPA-3 /UNUPEN Employability Event at the University of Greenwich, Medway Campus, Kent, United Kingdom
- Kalu, I.U (2009) Real Estate investment in the gobal economic meltdown an invited paper presented at Uyo, Nigeria at a MCPD Workshop organized the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers & Estate Surveyors and Estate Surveyors & Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria
- Kalu,I.U(2009) Property Investment Appraisal: Issues and Challenges, An Invited paper presented at MCPD Workshop at Warri, Delta State Nigeria , organized by The Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers & ESVARBON
- Kalu, I.U. (2009) The Compensation Implications of Nigerian Urban Renewal Schemes, being an invited paper presented at the MCPD Workshop on Urban Renewal and Property Values organized by the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers and the Estate Surveyors and Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria, at Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- Kalu, I.U. (2009) Effects of Building Materials Design and Land Policy on Housing Availability and Affordability: Lessons from Quasi- Government Housing Agencies, being a paper presented at Workshop on Housing Supply and Affordability. Organized by the Housing Associations of Nigeria, Owerri.
- Kalu, I.U. (2008) Principles and Techniques of Insurance Valuation of Real Estate Investments. Invited paper presented at CPD Workshop of The Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors & Valuers at Abuja
- Kalu, I.U. (2008) Compulsory Land Acquisition for Oil Mineral Purposes, invited paper presented at a conference of Estate Surveyors and Valuers at Awka ,Anambra state, Nigeria
- Kalu, I.U. (2008) The Need for National Housing Data Bank, an invited Workshop paper presented at the Sensitization Workshop on the Challenges of the National Housing Data Bank held at Umuahia by Federal Ministry of Housing and Urban Development. Abuja
- Invited paper for a National Workshop on Portfolio Management in Nigeria, November 10, at Enugu,
- Kalu, I.U. (2003) Adequacy of Course Contents for Estate Surveying and Valuation Training in Nigeria, paper presented at the Continuing Professional Development Seminar on the Challenges of Estate Management Practice in Present-Day Nigeria, Benin City.
- Kalu, I.U. (2001) Efficient Property Tax Administration in Nigeria, pp 1- 22 in Proceedings of the CPD of the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers held in Owerri.
- Kalu, I.U. (1999) Property Valuation in the Next Millennium: A Merger of the Dichotomy Between Market Valuation and Investment Valuation, pp 49-65 in NIESV Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference Of the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers, Calabar
- Kalu, I.U. (1995) Valuation for Compensation for Compulsory Acquisition under the Land Use Act, invited paper presented at the National CPD Workshop on the Practice of Valuation in Nigeria held at Lagos
- Kalu, I.U. (1993) The Suitability of the Investment Approach to the Nigerian Property Market, NIESV Enugu/Anambra State CPD Enugu, February, 25-26
- Kalu, I.U. (1992) Contemporary Appraisal Thougt: the Case for Research Adoption in Nigeria, pp 90-106 in G. Udo (ed) Proceedings National Workshop on Bridging the Gap between Real Estate Practice And Academia, Enugu
- Kalu, I.U. (1989) Nigeria’s Land Policy and Rural Development, pp 310-323 in U.M. Igbozurike et al (editors) Proceedings of the Third National Seminar on Rural Development, Owerri: Kartopress.
- Kalu, I.U. (1988) Property Rating as a Source of Revenue for Rural Development, pp 356-371 in U.M. Igbozurike et al (editors) Proceedings of the Second National Seminar on Rural Development, Owerri: Kartopress.
- Kalu, I.U. (1984) The Impact on Rent Control on Real Property Investments. Seminar paper presented to the School of Environmental Studies, Imo State University, Etiti.
- Kalu, I.U. (1986) Building Techniques, Materials and Design: An Appraisal of their Effect on Housing Policy Implementation in Nigeria and Cyprus. A Seminar paper presented at Reading University, England on Housing Policy.
10.0 COMMISSIONED TECHNICAL REPORTS
10.1 Ekere, N.N,and Kalu, I.U (2011) Guidance Manual- Embedding Employability And Entrepreneurial Skills into Postgraduate Degree Courses in Sub-Saharan African Universities- In Press (A Project Funded by The Department for Business & Skills and Managed By the British Council
10.1 Kalu, I.U. (2007) Asset Valuation of Golden Guinea Breweries Plc. Umuahia.
10.2 Kalu,I.U. (2007) Asset Valuation of Onyx Crown Oil Co. Ltd. Owerri.
10.3 Kalu,I.U.,(2004) Asset Valuation of David Laboratory Ltd (Pharmacetical Company)
10.4 Kalu,I.U. (2003) Plant & Machinery Valuation of Nigerian Enamelware PLC Ikeja, Lagos
10.5 Kalu, I.U., Nwabichie, C.I. and Edozie, J. (2006) Detailed Health Facility Infrastructural Assessment/Degree of Dilapidation in Abia State. Submitted to Abia State Health System Development Project II (World Bank Assisted Project).
10.6 Kalu, I.U. (2003) Asset Valuation Report on Nigerian Enamelware Company Plc. Quoted in the NSEX, Lagos.
10.7 Kalu, I.U. (2003) Asset Valuation Report of Porcelainware Industrial Company Ltd., Abeokuta.
10.8 Kalu, I.U. (2003) Asset Valuation of Universal Nigeria Industries Ltd. at Ikeja Industrial Layout, Lagos.
10.9 Kalu, I.U. (2002) Asset Valuation Report on Sankyo Steel Plant at Ogba Industrial Layout, Lagos.
10.10 Kalu, I.U. (1999) Insurance Valuaion Report on Delta Timber Industries Ltd., Brutu, Delta State, Commissioned by Afribank Nig. Plc.
10.11 Kalu, I.U. (1998) Compensation Valuation report on Crude Oil Spillage from Mobil Producing Unlimited, 24 Idoho Oil Pipeline on Ikot Abasi and Ogoni Communities in Akwa Ibom and Rivers States.
10.12 Kalu, I.U. (1991) Feasibility and Viability Report on Clay Products Ltd., Ezinachi Okigwe – Project Commissioned by Tower Aluminium Group.
10.13 Kalu, I.U. (1991) Feasibility and Viability Appraisal of GCM Electrical Products Ltd., Naze, Owerri: Study commissioned by Tower Aluminium Group.
10.14 Kalu, I.U. (1990) Feasibility and Viability Appraisal on ACB Merchant Bank Headquarters, Commissioned by ACB Merchant Bank Ltd., for CBN Approval.
10.15 Kalu, I.U. (1998) Asset Valuation Report on General Metalware Company Ltd. at 18 Wempco Road, Ogba Industrial Layout, Lagos.
12.0 COMPLETED BOOK FOR PUBLICATION
12.1 Kalu, I.U. (2013) Statutory Valuations, 290 pp.