When Abia State University opened in 1981 as Imo State University, it adopted the collegiate system of academic programme administration. As a result, there were no academic departments. Instead the activities of the different academic disciplines were organized in schools. The disciplines of Accountancy, Banking & Finance, Marketing and Management were under the School of Business Administration with Professor A. C. Ezejelue as Coordinator. The School was located at Aba as part of the College of Business Administration and Legal Studies. Professor J.K Onoh served as the Head of Campus of the then Aba Campus.
From 2000, the collegiate system of administration was replaced with the faculty system. As a result, the academic disciplines, including Management, metamorphosed into departments. Prof. Mrs A. N. Onoh (then Dr. Mrs A. N. Onoh) was appointed acting Head of the new department. The headship of the department has been occupied by Prof. Allison Ugwunna, Dr. C. O. Aguguo, Prof. F. E. Eboh and Dr. C. E. Udensi.
The department offers programmes at both the undergraduate (B.Sc degree) and post-graduate (Ph.D, M.Sc, MBA and PGD) levels.
To produce managerial manpower with appropriate knowledge, skills, and aptitude to handle the ever-growing and changing business environment.
The major objectives of the Degree programme in Management are:
- To provide basic knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems related to the management and administration of industrial, commercial, public and other human organizations.
- To equip students with the knowledge and skills needed for recognizing, defining, and solving problems.
3.To develop in students effective leadership and interpersonal relations skills in
D. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- a) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (U.T.M. E)
Candidates seeking admission into the Department of Management of Abia State University must possess the following qualifications:
- West African School Certificate, General Certificate of Education Ordinary level or Senior Secondary School Certificate with passes at credit level in at least five subjects including English language, Mathematics, Economics, and two other relevant subjects obtained at not more than two sittings.
- The National Examination Council (NECO) Certificate with passes at credit level in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Economics, and two other relevant subjects obtained at not more than two sittings.
- National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB)
This examination body follows the same conditions as in West African School Certificate (WAEC) and National Examination Council (NECO).
Students entering the Abia State University must be at least sixteen years of age.
E. POST-GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- PGD MANAGEMENT
1 (i) Five credit passes including English, Mathematics, and Economics at “O” level.
(ii) Relevant Bachelor degree not lower than third class division from recognized Universities.
- Bachelors degree with at least Second Class Lower Division in areas not
related to Administration (Management) may be considered.
- Higher National Diploma at upper credit.
- Relevant professional qualifications
- M.SC MANAGEMENT
- A minimum of a Second Class Honours Degree in Management of Abia State University or any recognized University, with CGPA of 2.6 on a four-point scale or 3 on a 5-point scale.
- A minimum of a merit pass at the Postgraduate Diploma with a specialization in Management.
- Proficiency in oral and written English .
- The programme is designed for a minimum period of 3 semesters and a maximum of 6 semesters and a minimum of 4 semesters and a maximum of 8 semesters for part-time students.
- University’s matriculation requirements must be satisfied.
- Ph.D ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The Ph.D programme is open to candidates with the following basic qualifications.
(i).A good M.Sc or M.B.A. in Management with a minimum CGPA of 0 on the 4-point grading system or 4.0 on the 5-point grading system from Abia State University. The M.Sc or M.B.A. must involve course work and dissertation and must be subjected to oral defence and before an external examiner.
(ii.)Proficiency in oral and written English Language.
(iii,) (a). The first part of the programme involves rigorous course work and Seminar presentation in the candidate’s area of specialization.
(b).Presentation and defence of the research proposal before the Faculty Postgraduate Board.
- Preparation of dissertation
- Defence of dissertation before an external examiner
- The University’s matriculation requirements must be satisfied.
- Masters degree with at least 60% in all courses including course work and thesis.
The Ph.D programme in Management requires a minimum period of six semesters and a maximum of ten semesters for full time students and a minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of fourteen semesters for part-time candidates.
F. PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
Some of the major professional Associations to which the lecturers belong are:
- Academy of Management, Nigeria
- Nigerian Institute of Management
- Institute of Corporate Administration of Nigeria
- British Academy of Management
- Any other Professional Association of interest
** The students of this Department have an association, the National Association of Management and Business Students (NUAMBS).
G. LIST OF ACADEMIC STAFF
|S/no.||Name||Sex||Qualification/Date Obtained||Area of Specialization/Research interest|
|1||Professor Allison Ugwunna||M||B.Sc. (1976), M.B.A. (1978), Ph.D. (1980)||Human Resources Mgt/Industrial Relations and leadership||Allisonugwunna@ yahoo.com|
|2||Professor (Mrs) A. N. Onoh||F||B.Sc. (1977), M.B.A (1982), Ph.D. (2004)||Organizational Behaviour, Industrial Psychology and General Management||anneonoh@yahoo.Co.uk|
|3||Dr. (Mrs) C. C. Umezurike||F||B.Sc. (1986), M.B.A (1988), Ph.D. (2001)||Mgt. Theory & Organization Behaviouremail@example.com|
|4||Professor F. E. Eboh||M||B.Sc.(1991),M.Sc.(1997),M.B.A(1997),
|Organizational Behaviour, Management of Public sector and Economics of SMEsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|5||Dr. C. O. Aguguo||M||B.Sc. (1986), M.B.A (1990), Ph.D. (2006)||Operations Research, International Business and Computer Scienceemail@example.com|
|6||Dr. C. E. Udensi||M||B.Sc. (1987), M.B.A (1991), Ph.D. (2011)||Strategic Management, Corporate sustainability and Governancefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|7||Okwuagwu O. Kalu||M||B.Sc. 2005, M.Sc. 2010, Ph.D (in view)||Entrepreneurship, Org. Behavioremail@example.com|
|8||M.M.Ofondu||M||B.Sc.( 2006, M.Sc 2011, Ph.D (in view)||Business Communications and Human Resource Management||Magmof2012@yahoo.com|
|S. B. C|
|9||S.B.C Amajo||M||B.Sc (!973), M.Sc (1978)||Human Resource Mangement/Industrial Relationsfirstname.lastname@example.org|