NAME: ONYEAGBA, Reginald Azuonye
PLACE OF BIRTH: Umuobasi, Isuochi, Umunneochi L.G.A. Abia State
PERMANENT HOME ADDRESS: Elefo Kindred, Umuobasi Mballa Isuochi
OFFICIAL ADDRESS IN NIGERIA: Department of Microbiology Abia State University
P.M.B. 2000, Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria.
MARITAL STATUS: Married
NAME OF SPOUSE: Dorothy Nkechi Onyeagba
NAME AND AGES OF CHILDREN:
- Enyinna Chukwuebuka Onyeagba (M) 18 years
- Ezinne Chinonso Onyeagba (F) 17 years
- Nnamdi Somtochukwu Onyeagba (M) 15 years
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Microbiology 2nd Class Upper Division 1972 – 1975
- M.Sc. Plant Pathology 1979 – 1982
- Ph.D Plant Pathology 1988 – 1993
PRESENT STATUS: Professor
TEACHING AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
- National Root Crops Research Institute Umudike 1977 – 1983
- College of Agriculture Umudike 1983 – 1985
- Abia State University, Uturu. 1985 – Present
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES:
- Nigerian Society for Microbiology
- Agricultural Society of Nigeria
- Science Association of Nigeria.
UNIVERSITY / PUBLIC SERVICE:
- Member Exam Committee 1993 – 1995
- External Examiner Imo State University, Owerri 2001 – 2003
- Eternal Examiner Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka 2003 – 2004
- Member Education Summit Oha na Eze Ndi Igbo Abia State Branch 2004
- Ph.D External Examiner at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike 2005
WORK EXPERIENCE AND POSTS HELD:
1 Research Officer 1, National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike 1980 – 1984
2 Coordinator, School of Biological Sciences (Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany and Zoology)1994 – 2000
3 HOD, Department of Microbiology 2000 – 2004
- Reader Dept. of Microbiology ABSU 2001 – 2004
- Professor Dept. of Microbiology 2004 – Present
- Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) 2006- 2010
- A. Onyeagba, R.P.A. Unamma and T, Enyinnia (1988). Effects of Duration of Weed Interference and intercropping on incidence and severity of cassava Anthracnose Disease (CAD) /Ram/Maize Intercrop. J.P.I Prot. Tropics 5 (1): 51 – 54.
- I. Nwufo and A. Onyeagba (1989). Studies on the Foot and Root rot diseases of egg plant (Solanum melongena L.) caused by Sclerotium rolfsii Sace In South Eastern Nigeria. Bietr, Trop. Landwirthsch. Bet. Med. 27:449-453.
- Nwoke, B.E., C.I. Ogbonnaya, M.C. Nwalozie, A. Onyeagba and F.O. Nduka (1992). Aflotoxin and Human Disease. Kwashiorkor, Medicare Journal 5 (6): 20 – 22.
- A. Onyeagba, N.R. Isu and U. Mba-Orji (2000) .The Fungal and Actionmycete agents associated with respiratory tract infectious in some parts of Imo State. Journal of Health and Visual Sciences 2 (2): 111-119.
- O. Nduka, R.A. Onyeagba and V.O. Nwaugo (2000). Human Activities in the transmission of paragoniamiasis in parts of South Eastern Nigeria. Journal of Health and Visual Sciences. 3 (1) 50 – 55.
- A Onyeagba, O.C Ugbogu, and J. Okereke (2001). Prevalence of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in some parts of Abia State. Nigeria, Journal of Health and Visual Sciences 3 (2): 44 – 48.
- A. Onyeagba (2001). Survival of Cassava anthracnose pathogen (Collectrotrichum gloeosporoides) during unfavourable period. African Journal Sci. 2: 331 – 343.
- Nduka, F. O.; Onyeagba, R. A.; and Nwaugo, V. O. (2001). Human Activities in the transmission of Paragonmiasis in parts of South Eastern Nigeria. Hlth Vis. Sci. 3(1): 50 – 55.
- A. Onyeagba and O.C. Ugbogu (2002). Studies on Collectotrichum gloeosporoides disease on cassava Manihot esculenta Crantz in parts of Eastern Nigeria. African Journal Sci. 3 (1) 373-379
- A. Onyeagba and E.C.K. Igwegbe (2002). Cultural Studies and Pathogenicity of Collectotrichum gloeosporoides – the Causal agent of cassava Anthracnose disease. African Journal Sci. 3 (1): 558 – 570.
- A. Onyeagba, O.C. Ugbogu, C. Nwankwo (2002), Prevalence of Viral Hepatitis in Okigwe Local Government Area, Imo State. Journal of Health and Visual Sciences 4 (3) 155 – 159.
- A. Onyeagba and O.C. Ugbogu (2004). Actinomycetes and fungi associated with Sawdust in Okigwe, Imo State, Nigeria. J. Sci. Engr. Tech. 11(1): 5414 – 5419.
- C. Ugbogu, R.A. Onyeagba and V.U. Agoha (2004) Microbial Characterization of Crab (Sudanantes spp) fermentation used as a food condiments in some parts of Nigeria. Journal of Applied Sciences 7 (3) 4473 -4478.
- O. Nwaugo, R.A. Onyeagba and M. Obinali (20024). Effects of Calcium Carbide Wastes on Soil Nitrifying Bacteria in Okigwe, Imo State. Journal of Applied Sciences 7(5):4451 – 4458
- A Onyeagba, O.C Ugbogu, C.U Okeke, and O. Iroakazi, (2004) Studies on the antimicrobial effects of garlic (Allium sativum Linn), ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) and Lime Citrus aurantifolia Linn) African Journal of Biotechnology 3 (10) 552 – 554.
- A. Onyeagba, V.O. Nwaugo, I Isikaku and C.U, Okeke (2005) Preliminary Studies on the fungal diseases of African Bush Mango (Irvingia woombolu D. Harris Irvingiaceae) J. Sci. Engr. Tech. 12(1) 6005 – 6011.
- O Obiekezie.,R.A Onyeagba., V.O Nwaugo and A.A Onunkwo (2005) Concentration of Trace metals in water collected from Amicol lake Ebonyi State, Nigeria. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 1(2)129- 132
- N Abara , S.O Obiekezie, R.A Onyeagba, V.O Nwaugo (2005) Physicochemical characteristics of Ivo river Ebonyi State, Nigeria. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 1(2) 145-149
- C Ugbogu., R.A Onyeagba.,O.A Chigbu(2006) Lauric acid content and inhibitory effect of palm kernel oil on two bacterial isolates and Candida albicans. African Journal of Biotechnology 5(11) 1045-1047
- Nwaugo, V. O.; Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2006). Bacteriological quality of cercariea (Schistosoma haematobium) infested abandoned Quarry pits water. Sci. Engr. Tech. 13(2): 6697 – 6706.
- Nwaugo, V. O.; Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2006). Moringa oleifera, a potential biocoagulation in the treatment of petroleum Produced water. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology 2003) 1413 – 1418.
- Nwaugo, V. O.; Onyeagba, R. A. and Nwachukwu, N. C. (2006). EFFECT OF GAS FLARING ON SOIL Microbial spectrum in parts of Niger Delta area of Southern, Nigeria. J. Biotech. 5 (19) 1824 – 1826.
- Nwaugo, V. O.; Obiekezie, S. O.; Onyeagba, R. A.; okereke, J. N. and Udebuani, A. (2006). The Physiochemical Investigation of Amicol Lake in Iro Area of Ebony State World. Journal of Biotechnology 7: 1055 1061.
- O Nwaugo, S.O Obiekezie, R.A Onyeagba, J.N Okereke and A. Udebuani (2006) The Physicochemical Investigation of Amicol lake of Ivo area of Ebonyi State. World Journal of Biotechnology 7: 1055- 1061
- O Nwaugo, R.A Onyeagba and N.C Nwachukwu (2006) Bacteriological quality of Cercaria (Schistosoma haematobium) infested abandoned quarry pit water. Journal of Science Engineering and Technology 13(2) 6697- 6701.
- Umezuruike, A.C Nwauzo and R.A Onyeagba (2006) Occurrence of Staphylococcus aureus in Semen of Men with fertility problems in Abakiliki Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Science Engineering and Technology 13 (2) 6809-6815.
- O Nwaugo, S.O Obiekezie and R.A Onyeagba (2006) Prevalence of Shigella in stool from Rural population of Ishiagu Community, Ebonyi State Nigeria.International Journal of Biotechnology and Allied Sciences 1(1) 19-22
- A Onyeagba, V.O Nwaugo and D.I Agwaranze (2006) Fungal species species associated with contamination and spoilage of Polyvinyl Chloride video tapes in Part of South Eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Biotechnology and Allied Sciences 1(1) 28-30
- O Nwaugo, R.A Onyeagba, S.O Obiekezie and O.C Ugbogu (2006) Effect of Petroleum produced (formation) water on some farmland bacteria in Egbema Rivers State Nigeria. International Journal of Biotechnology and Allied Sciences 1 (1) 31-35.
- O Nwaugo, R. A Onyeagba, N.C Nwachukwu and D.I Agwaranze (2006) Microbial species associated with air conditioner filters in Southeastern Nigeria. Nigerian journal of Microbiology 20(3): 1406-1412
- S Amadi, A. Oyeka, R.A Onyeagba, I. Okoli and O.C Ugbogu (2007) Studies on the Antimicrobial effect of Spondias mombin and Baphia nittida on Dental caries organisms.Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 10(3) 393-397.
- S Amadi, O.B Enemuo, C.J Uneke, O.K Nwosu, R.A Onyeagba and Ugbogu, O.C (2007). Asymptomatic Bacteriuria amongst pregnant women in Abakiliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Medical Sciences 7: 698-700.
- S Amadi, A Oyeka ,R.A Onyeagba , O.C Ugbogu and I Okoli (2007) Antimocrobial screening of Breynia nivosus and Ageratum conyzoides against dental caries organism. Journal of Biological Sciences 7(2) 354-358.
- C Nwanekezi and R.A Onyeagba (2007) Microorganisms associated with the spoilage of African pear (Dacryodes edulis) fruits. Journal of Food Agriculture & Environment 5 (3& 4): 122-125
- C Nwanekezi and R.A Onyeagba (2007) Effect of spoilage microorganisms on the physicochemical properties of African pear (Dacryodes edulis) fruits. Journal of Food Agriculture & Environment 5 (3& 4): 90-93
- O Nwaugo, R.A Onyeagba, S.N Umeham and N. Azu (2007) Effect of Physicochemical properties and attachment surfaces on biofilms in cassava mill effluent polluted Oloshi River, Nigeria. Estud. Biol. 29 (66): 53- 61
- O Nwaugo, R.A Onyeagba, N. Azu, and O. Nworie (2007) Petroleum produced formation (water) induced Changes in bacterial quality and soil enzymatic activities in a farmland in Egbema Southeastern Nigeria Estud. Biol. 29 (66): 89-97
- O Nwaugo, R. A Onyeagba, G. N. Chima and S. N. Umeham (2007). Effects of Discharge of Petroleum produced water on the physicochemical and bacterial flora of Nkissa River, Egbema, Rivers State. Int. J. Biotech. All. Sci. 2(2): 126 – 130
- O Nwaugo, R. A Onyeagba, G. N. Chima and D. I. Agwanaze (2007). Effects of Drilling wastes on the farmland microbial spectrum in Egbema, South-south Nigerian Community Pakistan Journal of Applied Sciences. 2(8): 632 – 638.
- Nwaugo, V. O.; Onyeagba, R. A. and Ugbogu, O. C. (2007). Effects of car engine lubricating oil on soil bacterial spectrum. Journal of Health and Vision Sciences 1(1): 38 – 43.
- O Nwaugo, R.A Onyeagba, E.I Akubugwo and O.C Ugbogu (2009) Soil Bacterial flora and enzymatic activities in zinc and lead Contaminated soil. Biokemistri 20(2): 77-84
- C Ugbogu, R.A Onyeagba, and C.E Ogbonna (2009) Physicochemical Characteristics of Two Man Made Lakes in Umuchieze, Abia State Nigeria. Journal of Research in Biosciences 6 (2) 1-7
- Onyeagba, R.A; Nwaugo, V.O; Asamadu and Nduka J.O  Effects of Pig and Chicken Waste Composts on Physico-chemical and Biological Indices of Petroleum Contaminated Orashi-River Wetland in Egbema Southern Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology : 1-13
- Nwaugo,V.O; Onyeagba, R.A; Etok, C.A and Nduka, J.O  Effect of Palm Oil Mill Effluent [POME]on Physico-chemical and biological properties of Petroleum Impacted Orashi-River Wetland, Egbema Southern Nigeria. ABSU Journal on Environment, Science and Technology : 37-47.
- Ugbogu, O.C and Onyeagba, R.A and Nwaugo, V. O (2011) Biofilm microbial communities of two man-made lakes at Lokpa, Umuchieze Abia State Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology 25: 2452-2456.
- Nwaugo, V,O; Onyeagba, R.A; Ugwuorah, A.U and Obasi, L.O.  Impact of rice-farming on
Soil Physicochemical and Biological indices at Akaeze, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Sciencia 23-32
- Nwaugo, V.O; Ugwuorah, A.U; Onyeagba, R.A and Okoroigwe, D.S.  Comparative Assessment of the Impact of Oil Production on Surface and Ground qualities in Egbema, Rivers State, Nigeria ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology 2; In press.
- Ugbogu, O.C., Onyeagba, R.A and Ogbonna C.E (2013) Microbial Quality of Two Man- made Lakes in Lokpa Abia State, N 36th WEDC International Conference Egerton University, Nakuru Kenya. http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk
- N.R. Isu and R.A. Onyeagba (1998) Basic Practical in Microbiology. Fasmen Communication Ltd. Okigwe.
CONTRIBUTION TO CHAPTERS IN TEXT BOOKS
- R.A. Onyeagba (1997) Morphology and Structure of Bacteria. In Ogbulie, J. N. Onyeagba, R.A. and Isu, N.R. (eds) Introductory microbiology CRC Publications Ltd., Owerri, Nigeria.
- R.A. Onyeagba (1997) Bacterial Taxonomy In Ogbulie, J.N, Onyeagba, R. A. and Isu, N.R. (eds) Introductory Microbiology, CRC Publication Ltd Owerri; Nigeria.
- R.A. Onyeagba and C.U. Okeke (1999) Cell and tissue culture techniques. In Azu Onyeagba and Nnennaya Isu (eds) Fundamentals of Biotechnology. Top Professional Publishers Enugu, Nigeria.
- R.A. Onyeagba (1999) Application of Biotechnology to Medicine. Top Professional Publishers Enugu, Nigeria.
- R.A. Onyeagba (1999) Application of Biotechnology in the recovery of metals. In Azu Onyeagba and Nnennaya Isu (eds) Fundamentals of Biotechnology. Top Professional Publishers Enugu Nigeria.
- Onwuchekwa, E.C., Ugbogu, O.C. and R.A. Onyeagba (2001) The Microbial World. In Chuks I. Ogbonnaya and Nwanma N. Onyike (eds) Modern text in History and Philosophy of Science. Crystal Publishers, Okigwe, Nigeria p. 242 – 260.
- R.A. Onyeagba and O.C. Ugbogu (2001) Soil Ecology in Umeham, S.N. and Onyeagba, R.A. (eds) Readings in Ecology. Crystal Publishers Okigwe, Nigeria p. 261 – 285.
- O.C. Ugbogu and R.A. Onyeagba (2001) Pollution and Environmental Health In Umeham, S.N. and Onyeagba, R.A. (eds) Readings in Ecology, Crystal Publishers, Okgiwe, Nigeria p.273 – 285.
- Onyeagba, R.A., Nwaugo, V. and Kanu, Ijeoma (2001) Microorganisms in the Ecosystem In Umeham, S.N. and Onyeagba, R.A. (eds) Readings in Ecology. Crystal Publishers, Okigwe Nigeria.
- Onyeagba, R.A. (2004) Microbiology and Microorganism, In R.A. Onyeagba and N.R. Isu (eds) General Microbiology Research and Academic Publishers Okigwe, Nigeria.
- Onyeagba, R.A. (2004) The bacteria In R.A. Onyeagba and N.R. Isu (eds) General Microbiology Research and Academic Publishers Okigwe, Nigeria
- Azu Onyeagba (ed) (2004) Practical Guide for Microbiology, Crystal Publishers Owerri.
CO-EDITOR OF MAIN LINE BOOKS
- Ogbulie, J.N., Onyeagba, R.A and Isu N.R. (eds) (1997) Introductory Microbiology CRC Publishers Owerri.
- Azu Onyeagba and Nnennaya Isu (1999) Fundamental of Biotechnology Top Professional publishers Enugu.
- Umeham S.N and Onyeagba, R.A. (eds) (2001) Readings in Ecology. Crystal Publishers Okigwe.
- R.A. Onyeagba and N.R. Isu (eds) (2004) General Microbiology Research and Academic Publishers
Reading, Gardening and Listening to Christian music